Achieve a Straighter Smile With Revolutionary Clear Aligner Therapy
The journey to perfecting smiles has seen numerous advancements over the decades. The introduction of clear aligner therapy in 2000 revolutionized orthodontic treatments, offering an alternative to traditional metal braces. This modern approach has gained massive popularity, particularly in cosmopolitan areas like San Francisco, thanks to its aesthetic appeal and convenience. While Invisalign is the most well-known brand in the space, many competing clear aligner brands have come on the scene including SureSmile and Reveal. Dental Studio SF is proud to offer top-tier Invisalign clear aligner therapy to the San Francisco Bay area. However, we do get many patients coming in asking us what the deal is between SureSmile vs. Invisalign, so we thought we’d break it down for you.
What Misalignments Can Clear Aligners Treat?
Clear aligners, like Invisalign, are not just about aesthetics. These versatile devices effectively treat various dental misalignments:
- Crowded teeth
- Overbite and underbite
- Crossbite and open bite
- Gapped teeth
- Slight rotation of teeth
Benefits of Clear Aligners
Opting for clear aligners offers numerous advantages:
- Aesthetics: Almost invisible, allowing wearers to feel more confident.
- Comfort: Customized to each patient, reducing irritation.
- Convenience: Easily removable for eating, brushing, and flossing.
- Reduced treatment time: Often, results are seen faster than with traditional braces.
Understanding The Invisalign and SureSmile Systems
What is Invisalign?
Regarded as a pioneer in clear aligner therapy, Invisalign emerged as a game-changer. Made from patented SmartTrack material, Invisalign aligners are renowned for their perfect fit and effective results.
System: Invisalign employs 3D imaging technology to formulate a comprehensive treatment plan. This plan provides patients with a virtual representation of the anticipated progression and final result. Patients are required to wear their aligners for 22 hours a day for best results. This is why clear aligner therapy is not always the therapy of choice for young kids or teens due to poor adherence. This led Invisalign to innovate and introduce Invisalign Teen, which includes compliance indicators that would let Dr. Cornehl or Dr. Record know if young patients weren’t following the guidelines.
Technology: The aligners, constructed of a proprietary thermoplastic material named SmartTrack, are FDA-approved and free from BPA, BPS, latex, or gluten. Their elasticity ensures constant force for controlled tooth movements.
Attachments: A unique feature in many Invisalign cases is the use of attachments or buttons. These are small, tooth-colored bumps affixed to the teeth. They work in tandem with the aligners to assist in achieving more complex tooth movements. By providing additional grip and control, these attachments facilitate rotations, intrusions, and extrusions, ensuring effective and predictable outcomes. Although they might seem noticeable to the wearer initially, their color seamlessly blends with the tooth, rendering them inconspicuous to others.
Results: With over 9 million smiles transformed globally, Invisalign’s success speaks volumes, especially with the ever-increasing number of patients we see asking for Invisalign in San Francisco.
What is SureSmile?
A relative newcomer, Suresmile offers a unique approach to clear aligner therapy.
System: At its core, Suresmile utilizes a combination of advanced orthodontic technologies to produce aligners that promise faster treatment times. The system uses detailed 3D models of the patient’s dental anatomy to design an optimized path for tooth movement.
Technology: Suresmile’s robotic wire-bending technology is particularly innovative. While not a feature of the clear aligners themselves, this technology showcases their commitment to precision and efficiency.
Results: While Suresmile may promise quicker results due to its technology, the effectiveness and predictability of results can vary.
Key Differences Between Suresmile vs Invisalign
- Material: Invisalign uses SmartTrack material, while SureSmile employs robotic technology to perfect wire bending. SureSmile has also introduced a stain-resistant material that prevents the aligners from staining or turning cloudy.
- Approach: Invisalign can aggressively treat more complex misalignments with their tooth-colored attachments. SureSmile uses advanced robotic technology to map out a treatment plan.
- Treatment duration: Suresmile promises slightly faster results, generally within 6 to 18 months. Invisalign’s progression tends to be more consistent and predictable, with the average treatment duration lasting 12 to 18 months.
Why We Choose Invisalign for Our Patients
After in-depth research and hands-on experience, our dentists in San Francisco, CA, favor Invisalign. Its predictability, backed by extensive R&D, ensures consistent results. The brand’s vast global community offers a wealth of case studies and shared knowledge, continually refining treatment strategies. Furthermore, the Invisalign training program ensures that our cosmetic dentists in San Francisco, Dr. Cornehl and Dr. Record, are well-equipped to handle complex cases, guaranteeing patient satisfaction.
The Invisalign Process at Dental Studio SF
- Consultation: Meet with Dr. Cornehl or Dr. Reed at Dental Studio SF to determine if Invisalign is right for you.
- Digital Scanning: We use 3D imaging to capture a precise map of your teeth, using our iTero Digital Scanner. This state-of-the-art scanner can also produce a 3D render of your expected results for a sneak peak of your soon-to-be smile!
- Custom Aligners: We send your scans off to the Invisalign lab, where your clear aligners will be created.
- Regular Check-ups: Periodic visits ensure the treatment is on track and we can give you your next set of aligners. Generally, you will receive anywhere from 18 to 30 aligner sets over a period of 9 to 15 months.
- Achieve Your Smile: Once the treatment concludes, you’ll be given retainers to maintain your new smile. Dr. Cornehl or Dr. Record will discuss the way forward with you to ensure you maintain that perfect smile for a lifetime.
General Care & Maintenance
Both Invisalign and SureSmile aligners are designed to be user-friendly and easy to maintain. However, the general guidelines for cleaning and maintaining clear aligners are quite similar across brands:
- Regular Cleaning: Both Invisalign and SureSmile aligners should be cleaned regularly. This can be done using a soft-bristle toothbrush and a mild, non-abrasive toothpaste or soap. Brushing the aligners gently will help remove any lingering bacteria or particles.
- Avoiding Staining Liquids: Beverages like coffee, tea, wine, or colored sodas can stain aligners, making them more visible. It’s advisable to remove the aligners when consuming such beverages.
- Rinse After Removal: Always rinse aligners with cool water once you take them out. This prevents dried saliva and plaque from creating a breeding ground for bacteria.
- No Hot Water: Clear aligners are crafted from specialized plastic that can warp under high temperatures. Therefore, avoid using hot water to clean them or leaving them in areas where they might be exposed to heat.
- Dedicated Cleaning Solutions: Both Invisalign and SureSmile have their brand-specific cleaning solutions or cleaning crystals. While not mandatory, they can provide a deeper cleanse.
- Safe Storage: Whenever aligners are not in use, like during meals, it’s essential to store them in their respective protective cases to keep them safe from dirt and damage.
- Regular Oral Hygiene: Ensuring that your teeth are clean before placing the aligners back in your mouth is crucial. Brushing and flossing after each meal will prevent trapping food particles or bacteria between the aligners and teeth.
Helping You Make The Choice Between SureSmile vs. Invisalign
Deciding between SureSmile and Invisalign in San Francisco can feel daunting, but we’re here to guide you. At Dental Studio SF, our team of experienced dentists is committed to delivering tailored solutions for every smile. Reach out today to schedule a comprehensive consultation.