Dental implants are permanent, artificial tooth replacements for patients who are missing one or more teeth. They are designed to look and feel just like natural teeth and improve your bite, appearance, oral health, and overall well-being.
If you live in the Bay Area and are missing one or more teeth, please call the DENTAL STUDIO SF today at 415-465-1393 to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced dentists.
- What Are Dental Implants?
- Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental Implant Candidates
- Dental Implant Options
- Dental Implant Procedure
- Dental Implant Results
- Dental Implants Cost
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are designed to look, feel, and work just like your natural teeth. A dental implant is a titanium root that supports a dental restoration such as a porcelain dental crown or dental bridge. Dental implants provide a stable, secure foundation that can function just like your existing teeth.
A dental implant usually consists of three components:
- Titanium post (fused directly into the jawbone)
- Porcelain crown or other restoration
- Abutment (the connecting device that attaches the restoration component to the implanted post)
What Are the Benefits Of Dental Implants?
Dental implants offer a number of important benefits to the health of your smile compared to other solutions such as dentures or dental bridges, including:
- Convenience: Implants are permanent restorations which can be easily cared for just like your normal teeth.
- Durability: By maintaining a healthy oral hygiene routine, a tooth implant can last the rest of your life.
- Improved bone structure: Missing teeth can negatively affect your jaw. Teeth implants can prevent your jawbone from deteriorating, preserving more of your natural bone structure.
- Improved speech: Slipping dentures and missing teeth can affect your ability to speak clearly. Dental implants offer a way to ensure you will always be able to pronounce words the way you intend.
- Improved eating ability: You can rely on the strength of a tooth implant to allow you to eat all of your favorite foods without concern.
- Improved appearance: Your dental implants should blend seamlessly with your natural teeth to provide you with a more confident, winning smile.
- Improved comfort: Removable dentures aren’t always comfortable. Dental implants are fused with your jawbone, giving you a tooth restoration option designed to feel as good as it looks.
Dr. Fredrickson at Dental Studio is amazing. He’s been consistently by my side throughout a lengthy and necessary major implant process of my front teeth. Yowza! I have felt very supported and informed every step of the way, with his patient-centered style and individualized attention. I’m so grateful to Dr. Fredrickson for his patience in taking the time to explain the procedures and give me time to ask questions, fit me in quickly with a dental emergency, and working closely with my periodontist team. He’s a delightful and thorough dentist and I highly recommend him. Plus the office staff are super nice and organized, so there are never any financial surprises! Thank you Dr. Fredrickson for giving me a beautiful new smile !
October 11, 2019
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
Dental implants typically present the most effective tooth replacement option for almost everyone. Generally speaking, you may be a good candidate for dental implants if:
- Your jawbone is strong enough to support a surgically implanted dental post
- Your oral and overall health is in good condition
- Your jaw is fully developed (this tends to happen between the ages of 16 and 18)
During your initial consultation, the dentist will examine your teeth, jaws, bite, gums, and overall oral and general health to determine if dental implants are an appropriate solution for your dental needs.
If you suffer from other issues, such as gum disease, the dentist will help treat your condition first to help ensure a successful dental implant procedure. We are committed to helping you find the tooth replacement option that best meets your needs.
Dental Implant Options
Depending on the number of teeth that need to be replaced, dental implants are available in a number of different forms, including the following:
As even one missing tooth can significantly impede your ability to chew and speak, high-quality single tooth implants can effectively restore function to the bite and enhance smile aesthetics.
Several dental implants can be placed for a corresponding number of missing teeth. Multiple dental implants can also be useful to create an “implant bridge,” which can serve as a strong support foundation for replacing a few missing teeth in a specific area. Multiple-teeth dental implants can often be a more economical alternative to multiple individual implants in cases where there is an isolated area of missing teeth that is surrounded by natural teeth.
In recent years, implant dentures have become a popular option for full-arch tooth replacement. Unlike removable dentures, implant dentures are anchored into the jawbone to help create a secure fit that feels natural. In addition to being considered by many as a more comfortable alternative to their removable counterparts, implant dentures – like our other implant options – are custom-crafted to enhance the appearance of your smile.
What Does the Dental Implant Procedure Involve?
The dental implant procedure involves a few steps, beginning with a thorough examination of your oral health. Once you are determined to be a candidate for dental implants, our dentist will utilize advanced digital scanning technology to create an impression of your oral structures. This is part of a detailed implant mapping plan designed to provide a precise blueprint for the placement of the implants, allowing for the most accurate and natural-fitting results possible. Once the titanium posts are surgically placed into the selected areas, they should fuse to the jawbone over the next several months in a process called osseointegration. In many cases, temporary restorations can be placed on the implant posts during this time. After osseointegration is complete, you will return to our office to have the permanent custom crowns placed. Our dentist will then perform any final touch-ups necessary to ensure your new implants fit and flatter your smile.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
Dental implants are designed to be permanent restorations. With that in mind, they require the same amount of excellent care that are required for natural teeth. To reap the full benefits of your implants, make sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes or more, floss regularly, and attend dental check-ups as recommended by the dentist—for most individuals, a minimum of two per year is advised.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
Each smile is different, and each dental implant procedure at our practice is customized to meet individual dental health needs and aesthetic goals. As such, the cost of dental implants will vary based on a number of factors, including:
- The number of teeth being replaced
- The specific type of materials utilized
- The extent and complexity of treatment
- Any additional techniques, such as enhanced sedation measures or other treatments, performed during the procedure
Once your customized treatment plan is developed, a member of our team can produce a cost estimate and answer your questions about payment options. We accept a variety of payment methods, including third-party dental financing plans available for qualified applicants that can provide a way to pay for dental implant treatment over time.
Contact the DENTAL STUDIO SF
Missing teeth can affect more than just your bite and appearance. Don’t delay the treatment you need. To discuss dental implants and all of your tooth replacement options, contact the DENTAL STUDIO SF today by calling 415-465-1393 or completing the form on this page. We proudly help patients from San Francisco and the entire Bay Area.