The Porcelain Veneers Procedure
Veneers are an approachable, minimally-invasive procedure. Once placed, veneers create a dazzling new smile. Unlike orthodontics – which certainly are appropriate and recommended in some cases – veneers provide results immediately. It takes only a few appointments to complete.
The Veneer Process: Step-By-Step
So, veneers have piqued your interest. Perhaps you are now curious about what is involved in the process. Some people call it the “veneer procedure,” although there’s no surgery involved. Veneers are placed over the front surface of the teeth to conceal flaws beneath, and to close gaps and improve tooth shape. A bonding agent is used to affix the veneers to the enamel.
Exact appointment timing will vary given our schedule and your own schedule, but in general, the steps involved in the process are:
- The consultation. You’ll come to our Union Square office to meet with Dr. Cornehl or Dr. Fredrickson. Both are experienced cosmetic dentists. During the consultation, they’ll want to hear about what changes you would like to make to your smile. We’ll also ask about your dental history. We’ll examine your teeth and gums to ensure they are healthy enough for cosmetic treatment. The dentist will want to listen to your expectations in terms of results and other aspects of getting veneers. Then, they’ll be able to recommend which treatments will accomplish your goals, veneers or otherwise.
- Preparing the enamel. The surface of the teeth must be trimmed slightly, to make room for placement of the veneer. This enamel adjustment is minor, but it’s an important step to make the veneers look beautiful and natural. A local anesthetic will be provided for any discomfort.
- Waiting for fabrication of the veneers. You’ll wear temporaries while your veneers are being made. Veneers are highly customizable, so they can be made in the shape, size and style you want.
- Getting the veneers placed. Veneers are bonded to the teeth in a relatively quick, painless procedure.
- Walking out the door with your new smile. After the veneers are placed, and you and the dentist agree they look good, you’ll be ready to go. A major advantage is that you’ll leave our office with your new smile finalized. You can show it off as soon as the procedure is completed.
Are Veneers Permanent?
Porcelain veneers are not permanent, but they are long-lasting. Eventually, it is normal to experience breakage, fading, discoloration or other issues that require their replacement. But this can be decades down the road. Some people could very well end up having their first set of veneers for a lifetime, but generally you should go into the process expecting to replace them at some point in the future.
The Next Step For You
If you are curious about veneers and what they can do for your smile, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with the experienced cosmetic dentists at the DENTAL STUDIO. You can reach our friendly team in San Francisco at 415-392-5025. We proudly provide care for people from across the Bay Area and surrounding region, including Oakland, Berkeley and San Rafael.